Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sex in the Afternoon

Sunday morning I got a visit from my lover at 8 am. We crawled back into bed and spent a glorious morning exploring each other. This morning as I lay in bed with my coffee I remembered when I was living with a man and we got into a bad habit.

Sex always came at the end of the evening. We were both night owls so our evenings ended in the wee hours of the morning. As you can imagine the sex itself became very perfunctory – often we were too tired for anything else.

From midnight on all I really want to do is go to sleep. Granted, curling up with my lover is the best kind of sleep. And there is value to sleepy sex. The slow almost dream like sex you have when you are both aroused but tired from a good day. It unfolds gradually and never goes anywhere but has a satisfaction all its own.

A diet of too much of the same thing makes Emma a dull girl.

I remember trying to break the habit but it was strong and we never changed. It was one of the reasons our liaison ended. Our sexual life had become stale.

That was what I was thinking about this morning. How much I enjoy the unexpected in a lover and the value of changing times, places, and positions. The more variety the more we have to explore. And I for one, value that highly. I also value the joy of learning someone. Taking the time to get to know their body and for them to know mine finding new places, movements, sensations to exploit. When it is a mutual exploration it is a wondrous thing.

But I think we sometimes forget the value of time.

A quickie is fun and definitely adds spice but there is something sublime about the different hours of the day. Sex first thing – when you are just waking up. Sex later in the morning after you’ve showered and dressed for the day. A nooner – meeting for an illicit tryst. Sex in the afternoon – on a Saturday after teasing each other while running errands or coming home early from work just to be together. The random middle of the night wakeup call when you wake to your lover’s touch.

There are so many possibilities.

As the sun arcs through the sky and the moon follows. Bodies at rest and motion collide in different patters – none of them the same – like snowflakes – unique and ephemeral.

Licks!

No comments: