Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Reports from the Dating Scene – Part I

Yes, I’m single.

Yes, I’ve decided to start dating again.

Yes, this is a painful process not for the faint of heart. But I’d like to have a lover again… soon.

A friend said to me that there was no good or bad in life, only good stories and bad stories. The problem is that bad dates make better story fodder.

Take my first week of online dating.

My profile is a bit on the vague side – less information fewer assumptions and more mystery don’t you know. But I received an email from a cowboy who had decided that we were “searching for the same qualities” in a life partner. Since I state that I’m not looking for the love of my life where did he find this information I wonder.

I shouldn’t be cruel.

Dating is hard. Connecting with someone is fraught with dangerous pitfalls and ego damage. Dating is more like jumping from a plane without a parachute.

So why am I committing suicide?

Probably for the same reason everyone else is. They are looking for a connection, if only briefly to another human being.

Which brings us to the next trend I’m seeing.

The week starts out light and then as the weekend approaches the frequency of emails jumps but if I don’t commit to a date – coffee, dinner, drinks – by Friday afternoon I rarely hear from them again. So…are they looking for a date or a one-night-stand?

Mmmm…. Me thinks they have sex on their mind.

This is what occurred in week one – we will see what happens in week two.

I’d say “wish me luck,” but I’m not yet convinced I want to get lucky.

Licks!

No comments: